Sarine Technologies Ltd. develops, manufactures, markets and sells precision technology products for the processing, grading and trade of diamonds and gemstones.
Rough Stone Polishing (the "Midstream")
Our products and services provide industry-leading automated solutions for every stage of the rough diamond manufacturing process, from high-precision geometrical modelling and internal inclusion mapping of the rough stone, through determining the optimally derivable polished gems based on true dollar value and market trends, through laser cutting and shaping, to the inline quality control of the actual making and faceting of the polished jewel.
Our DiaExpert® family of platforms, detailed in the Business Review section, and the copyrighted Advisor® software are the de-facto worldwide standard for planning the optimal utilisation of rough diamonds. Our systems assist the manufacturer in cutting and polishing rough stones to achieve polished gems with the highest possible values based on optimisation of the four "C" parameters (Carat, Clarity, Color and Cut) in accordance with market trends and prices.
The revolutionary Galaxy® family of internal inclusion mapping systems for rough diamonds, based on unique patented technology, provides high resolution (optionally at microscopic-level), fully automated, fast and comprehensive identification and mapping of internal inclusions in rough diamonds allowing for the optimisation of the Clarity grade of the resultant polished stones. To allow the industry to fully benefit from this cutting edge technology, various models (see Business Review section) offer inclusion mapping of rough stones across the entire spectrum of sizes – from 5 points (0.05 carats) through 200+ carats. We also offer per-use inclusion scanning services at wholly-owned or affiliated service centres in all the major diamond trading and polishing centres – Mumbai and Surat (India), Ramat-Gan (Israel), Antwerp (Belgium), Moscow, Johannesburg, Gaborone (Botswana), Windhoek (Namibia) and New York.
Our 3rd-generation Quazer® 3 green-laser system, integrated with our planning systems by way of the Strategist® setup station, is the industry's most costeffective high-end solution for the laser cutting and shaping of rough diamonds, as well as for the processing of CVD-type lab-grown (so called "synthetic") diamonds for industrial purposes. The Quazer® 3's main advantage is its ability to perform complicated non-linear cutting, like pie sawing, with a single setup, giving more accurate results and saving significant time. Rough diamond cutting and shaping services are also offered on a per-use basis at various locations in wholly-owned service centres in India, or by independent third-party service centres elsewhere (e.g., Israel and southern Africa).
Finally, our Instructor® software assists in real-time quality control and optimisation of the actual diamond faceting. It also provides for corrective polishing, when deviations from the original planned optimal polishing solution are discerned, by re-analysing the semi-polished stone and proposing alternative solutions, including utilisation of unique asymmetrical methods.
The combination of these technologies has redefined the art of diamond polishing. It has raised the optimally achievable yield of the polished stones combined weights from typically under 40% of the rough stone's weight to even over 50%, a 25% benefit. But no less important, it also allows the manufacturer to select planning options which best suit actual market demand at any given time (e.g., trading off between weight, more sought in US markets, and quality, more sought in Asia Pacific (APAC) markets).
Polished Diamond Grading and Trade (the "Downstream")
We also aid in key aspects of the polished diamond trade. Having pioneered the automated grading of a polished diamond's Cut in 1992, and having introduced the industry's most accurate system for measuring a polished diamond's actual light performance in 2013, the Sarine Light™, we now provide automated grading of the polished diamond's Clarity, a world first, and Color. Our Sarine Technology Lab provides the world's first technology-based, objective and consistent grading of a polished diamond's 4Cs, as well as authentication of the diamond's source (natural or lab-grown) and any treatments to which it has been submitted. Optionally, light performance grading and other consumer-oriented imaging and presentation aids are also provided.
We launched the DiaMension® family of products in 1992 for the accurate measurement of a polished diamond's proportions, in order to derive its Cut and Symmetry grades. The DiaMension® HD (High Definition) and the Instructor® software are today the industry's standard for measuring proportions and Cut grading worldwide. The newest model, the DiaMension® Axiom, based on revolutionary technology with micron level accuracy, was developed to meet and exceed Tiffany & Company's most stringent requirements. Other leading manufacturers and gem labs are also adopting it for extra-fine diamond quality assessment. Our polished stone proportion measuring and Cut/Symmetry grading systems operate using the Instructor® software package. Our software was the first proportion and Cut grading software to be thoroughly evaluated by the Gemological Institute of America (GIA) and was qualified as being accurate in excess of 98% of the tested cases.
The Sarine Light™ introduced in 2013 has today become the most widely used system of its class in the Asia Pacific (APAC) market and is all but the fifth "C" in Japan. Its services are offered independently or as a key element in the Sarine Profile™, detailed below.
Commencing in 2018, we now offer comprehensive polished diamond 4Cs grading, utilising our groundbreaking artificial-intelligence (AI) based technology and two new devices, the Sarine Clarity™ and Sarine Color™, for the automated, consistent and objective grading of a polished stone's Clarity and Color. Clarity grading has always been and is still done manually. As it is a very complex four-dimensional classification, based on the number of inclusions, their sizes, types and locations, the judgment call is complex. The norm is that at least two manual graders grade each stone, and it is not unusual for a third opinion to be required. Even so, Clarity grading is not consistent, and it is not uncommon to get significant variations in grading, often resulting in the grading being contested. Our tests have shown that a statistically significant reference team of proficiently trained graders assesses the same stone's Clarity across up to three different grades. Utilising technology enables much more consistent grading, and, as the AI-based algorithms are self-teaching, consistency will continuously improve over time. Over time, we will enable the fine-sorting a diamond's Clarity in accordance with industry-accepted sub-grades pertaining to the diamond's actual appearance (e.g., "eye-clean", "no black inclusions", "no inclusions under the table"), etc.
In today's changing retail world, channel and product branding and differentiation, as well as providing a captivating digital experience on its online portal, are key to a retailer's success. The ability to tell the polished gem's "story" online, as well as demonstrate its unique features in-store, and differentiating it from the near-commoditised standard cuts and stones are becoming universal goals amongst e-tailers and retailers alike. Dry tabular non-intuitive data, as formulated in the historic 4Cs, no longer appeal to, nor convince, the younger generation of internet-savvy buyers.
We have thus pioneered the Sarine Profile™, which provides engaging imagery and video information pertaining to the offered diamond's history, quality and beauty. A toolbox of various technologies, as detailed below, Sarine Profile™ allows the wholesaler and retailer to display their inventory, both real and virtual, regardless of a specific stone physically being in a specific outlet or not, according to their own specific branding goals, as best suited to the merchandise being sold and the market in which it is sold. Sarine Profile™ is also unique in that it caters to the new generation of buyers' engrossment with their mobile devices and their enthusiasm for social media, allowing retailers to connect with them and engage them on their media of choice. Doing so enables online transactions with a completely new level of confidence and enhances the in-store buying experience by empowering the consumer to make a truly informed decision.
The technologies that have been developed to provide these varied capabilities are:
- The Sarine Light™ enables the automatic, accurate, consistent and quantified measurement of a polished diamond's light performance (appearance), in order to provide additional visual characteristics by which to appreciate the diamond's appeal:
- Brilliance - the intense bright light that shines from the diamond.
- Sparkle - the dramatic flashes that burst out of the diamond.
- Fire - the vivid colours of the rainbow that radiate from within the diamond.
- Light symmetry - the equal distribution of light that reflects from the diamond.
- The Sarine Loupe™ imaging system, which creates high-quality video imagery, so that a potential buyer of a polished diamond, whether a qualified wholesale trader or a consumer, can truly assess both its beauty and internal features without having the polished diamond physically in hand. At various levels of 3 to 40 times magnification, the potential buyer can assess the polished stone's true appearance and beauty, observe its inclusions and verify its being eyeclean, and truly scrutinise even its minutest details from virtually 360 degrees in all axes, even better than through a conventional loupe.
- The Sarine Connect™ app, which provides mobile device (tablet, smartphone, etc.) compatibility to display an inventory of loose stones or set jewellery, including the unique capability to create virtual inventory by linking into suppliers' inventories and allowing a buyer to create his/her own unique piece by selecting from available settings and stones.
- The Sarine Diamond Journey™ – Leveraging on our extensive presence in the diamond industry's midstream, having scanned over ten million stones in 2017 for inclusion mapping and having planned many tens of millions of rough stones (some 40 million stones using our latest Advisor® family 7.0 software alone), we have launched a new captivating visualisation paradigm for showing the consumer the entire process that his/her unique diamond underwent. The rough stone can be shown as mined, as modelled, as scanned, as planned and as cut and polished at various stages, culminating in its final polished magnificence, creating an engaging personalised experience. This new capability provides the consumer with insight as to the painstaking craftsmanship that went into creating his/her unique gem. It may, depending on the data provided, also verify for the consumer where their rough stone was mined and reinforce their confidence in the responsible sourcing and manufacture of their diamond, as done by Dominion, Canada's largest independent miner. Finally, as multiple stages of the stone's journey from mine to their possession are documented, it may, in the future, be leveraged to create a secure chain of events for authentication record purposes.
- Sarine's Clarity and Color AI-based solutions, as well as the proven Cut grading family of devices, all as described above.
Sarine Profile™ is unique in that it allows each customer, whether wholesaler or retailer, online or brick and mortar, to create its unique branding message by utilising the various technologies detailed above, along with other imagery and video presentations, such as - hearts and arrows graphics, Cut proportions graphics in 2D or 3D, laser inscription viewing, etc. And, of course, our centerpiece technologies - light performance grading, the Sarine Technology Lab AI-based 4Cs grading report and the Sarine Diamond Journey™. We also support the importation of other customer-provided data, such as the stone's gemmological laboratory report, if from a third party, promotional branding material, etc.
We intend to further augment our Sarine Profile™ offering with additional capabilities, to provide supplementary information pertaining to polished diamonds, such as "fingerprinting", which can help insurers and resolve issues pertaining to supposed diamond swapping. We will also provide links to enable the end-consumer to personalise his/her Sarine Profile™ by adding text, imagery, music and video addressed to the recipient of the gift.